SIDNEY CROFT MASONIC LODGE NO. 206
A.F. & A.M.
AUGUST 16, 1946
A BRIEF HISTORY OF
SIDNEY CROFT LODGE #206
Sidney Croft Masonic Lodge No. 206, A.F. & A.M. was instituted on August 16, 1946. Brother Charles Bickner was installed as Worshipful Master. At that time, the Lodge meetings were held in the old Odd Fellows Hall on Railroad Avenue in Brookings. That hall no
longer exists. From institution through the end of the year, four Petitions for Degrees were read. Three of those four were made Entered Apprentices before year-end 1946.
Those were busy years for the Lodge. Meetings were held twice monthly at that time on the first and third Mondays and convened at 8 p.m. Most every meeting found the Lodge reading a Petition for Degrees or conferring Degrees. Sidney Croft Lodge No. 206 was constituted on July 11, 1947. MWB Walter M. Ransom, Grand Master of Masons of Oregon was presiding officer. WB Charles Bickner was again installed as Worshipful Master.
According to the By-Laws, on November 18, 1947, Sidney Croft Lodge meetings were changed to convene on the second Friday of each month at 8 p.m. at the Odd Fellows Hall.
It was noted that at the Lodge meeting of February 13, 1948, there were forty-nine visitors and members present.
On April 9, 1948, the Building Committee was formed for the purpose of finding a location for a new Masonic Hall. The Sidney Croft Temple Association was formed on that same date. The lot on which the Lodge was built was donated by Brother Edward Caleb Krause. Brother Krause passed on July 11, 1953. The building progressed and was dedicated on April 19, 1958. MWB Clarence A. Kopp, Grand Master of Masons of Oregon presided. It was a public ceremony and it is estimated that some 300 were in attendance.
A dinner was held on August 11, 1956 at the Grange Hall in Harbor to commemorate the tenth anniversary of the institution of Sidney Croft Lodge No. 206.
According to the By-Laws, on March 27, 1965 Sidney Croft Lodge meetings were changed to convene on the second Friday of each month at 8 p.m. at the Sidney Croft Masonic Temple.
On July 29, 1967, Sidney Croft Lodge assisted in laying the corner stone for the new Brookings City Hall. MWB Alfred B. Holmes, Grand Master of Masons of Oregon presided. Many businesses and organizations, including Sidney Croft Lodge, placed artifacts in the casket sealed within the corner stone. A dinner was served at the Lodge after the ceremony.
It was announced on April 21, 1969 that WB Vern Garvin was selected Grand Standard Bearer. WB Vern served as District Deputy for District No. 36 in 1971.
The sword used by the Tiler was presented to the Lodge on January 17, 1972 by
Frank Hyatt PM. The sword had been presented to him by a Brother of Vista Lodge No. 215 of Salem, OR. The presentation was made on behalf of both Brothers.
On July 22, 1972, Sidney Croft Lodge No. 206 commemorated their 25th anniversary with a dinner at the Grange Hall in Harbor. After the dinner, members and guests retired to the Masonic Temple for an open meeting. MWB Daniel H. Schultze, Grand Master of Masons of Oregon and serveral other Grand Officers were present.
About November 1972, the two very old Masonic aprons that hang in the Secretary's Office were donated by Mrs. Brooks in memory of her departed husband.
On March 4, 1974, it was noted that Sidney Croft Lodge had 114 members.
On March 1, 1976, it was noted that Sidney Croft Lodge had 130 members.
In June 1976, a history of Sidney Croft Lodge along with artifacts, was placed in a time capsule at the Grange Hall in Harbor.
During November 1976, the flag pole and base that stand outside the Lodge were erected and would be dedicated to the memory of Samuel J. Gott PM. WB Gott served as the second Master of Sidney Croft Lodge and served as Lodge Secretary for 29 years.
In June 1981, RWB Vern Garvin was appointed Grand Senior Deacon, starting his travels to become elected Grand Master of Masons of Oregon in 1985.
In February 1983, the Chetco DeMolay Chapter was established and supported by Sidney Croft Lodge.
According to the By-Laws, on January 11, 1984 Sidney Croft Lodge meetings were changed to convene on the first Monday of each month at 8 p.m.
According to the By-Laws, on January 5, 1985 Sidney Croft Lodge meetings were changed to convene on the second Tuesday of each month at 7:30 p.m.
In January 1988, the Garvin Family established a Masonic Scholarship Fund to be governed by Officers of Sidney Croft Masonic Lodge.
On January 4, 1988, Sidney Croft Lodge had the honor of laying the corner stone for the Brookings Senior Center – now known as the Senior Activity Center. MWB Glendon Jefferies, Grand Master of Masons of Oregon and his official delegation assisted in the honors.
On September 26, 1995, Brother Raymond G. Fletcher was the recipient of the first ever Hiram Award from Sidney Croft Lodge.
Brother Henry Kerr was presented with his 75-Year Jewel on October 12, 1996.
In May 2003, some much-needed improvements were begun on the Temple building, both inside and out, and went on into mid-2006.
December 2008 found Sidney Croft Lodge the recipient of a $10,000 anonymous donation to be used for new carpeting and an electric stove and serving table for the kitchen.
MWB Vern Garvin, Past Grand Master of Masons of Oregon 1985-1986 and a member of Sidney Croft Lodge No. 206 passed on November 18, 2009. After his death, his family donated his Shrine and Masonic paraphernalia to Sidney Croft Lodge. Those items are on display in the foyer.
The sword and case that hang in the Lodge Room were presented to the Lodge on May 11, 2010. The case was made and donated by Hiram Underwood PM. The sword was donated by WB Keith Byrtus.
December 14, 2010 – a donation was received to purchase the 'Child ID Program' – to be used by Sidney Croft Lodge. The first set-up was at the Brookings Home Show in 2011. A generator was donated by WB John O'Hara for use when there is no power source.
WB Stephen Shannon let it be known on February 8, 2011 that Sidney Croft Lodge has their own web page known as www.brookingsmasons.com.
On September 8, 2011, WB Dennis Barbee donated a gavel that once belonged to WB Sydney N. Croft when he was Master of Golden West Lodge No. 153 of Langlois, OR. The gavel has been mounted on a plaque and now hangs in the lodge.
On October 11, 2011, WB David Brock Smith of Port Orford Lodge No. 170 presented the Lodge with a charter holder that had once belonged to Gold Beach Lodge No. 199. The charter holder became the property of Port Orford Lodge #170 when the two lodges consolidated. WB Smith affiliated with Sidney Croft Lodge on April 9, 2013.
WB Dennis Barbee presented the Lodge with Rough and Perfect Ashlars on November
8, 2011. The Ashlars are displayed in front of the Worshipful Master's podium.
On January 10, 2012, WB Stephen Shannon presented the Lodge with a picture of MWB George Washington that was given to him by Port Orford Lodge No. 170. W B Steve had the picture framed and it now hangs above the Secretary's desk in the Lodge Room.
There were well over 100 Masons in attendance, including members of the Grand Families of both California and Oregon, on August 6, 2012 when Crescent Lodge No. 45 F. & A.M. of Crescent City, CA held their Stated Meeting at Sidney Croft Masonic Temple. Special dispensation was received from both jurisdictions to allow them use of the Lodge building until they found a suitable place to meet. This was due to a devastating fire during which their Temple burned to the ground.
Worshipful Master Finley Cheshier was given the honor of opening the Grand Lodge Conclave for 2013. RWB Ernest Turner of Sidney Croft Lodge was appointed District Deputy of District No. 16.
The Sydney N. Croft Memorial Marker that was placed at the Grange Hall in Harbor during the 1970s was moved to its new location in front of Sidney Croft Masonic Temple on February 3, 2014. The time capsule remains in place at the Grange Hall.
As of October 2023, there are sixty members of Sidney Croft Masonic Lodge.
On July 14th 2020 Port Orford Lodge #170 consolidated with Sidney Croft #206
We are now the only active lodge in Curry County, Oregon.